Personal Injury Lawyers for Accident Victims living in Des Plaines
Considered one of the best Illinois cities to live in, the suburb of Des Plaines is located to the north of O’Hare International Airport roughly 17 miles northwest of downtown Chicago. The city is rated as being safer than almost 80% of all cities in the US (there’s a 1:77 chance of being a crime victim in Des Plaines). As safe a place to live and raise a family as this city is, there are still times when you need a personal injury lawyer in Des Plaines to help you get compensated for the harm that was done to you in an accident.
The Makarone Law Firm has long been recognized as one of the Midwest’s top-rated personal injury legal practices. Compared to other so-called personal injury firms in the greater Chicago area, our legal staff takes a more caring and compassionate approach to the interests and needs of our clients. We represent injury victims only – not the big insurance companies, government agencies, or large corporations. If you’ve suffered harm at the hands of another person, we are here to make them pay.
The Consequences of getting Injured in an Accident
As the victim of a defective product injury, motor vehicle accident, slip and fall accident, or any other kind of accident, there are additional consequences to deal with beyond the physical pain and suffering. Other consequences of your accident include:
- The emotional hardship of feeling as though your life has been turned upside down because you have medical bills to pay, you can’t work, you’re unable to participate in your usual activities, and you can’t perform your daily tasks.
- The financial setbacks are often severe as a result of the above hardships and all of the expenses you’ve been burdened with can be extremely stress and take a major toll on your everyday life as well as that of your family
- The inability to work could mean additional lost income and digging a deeper financial whole to get out of, while at the same time, you’re frustrated because you can’t work and be productive
Furthermore, if you were injured in a motor vehicle accident, additional consequences might be not having transportation as well as seeing your insurance premiums increase dramatically because of your accident. All of this is reason enough to contact the Makarone Law Firm and speak with a personal injury lawyer in Des Plaines.
Damages in a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If you or a loved one has recently been injured in an accident and you’re considering pursuing a personal injury claim or personal injury lawsuit, you’re probably wondering what your case is worth. The answer is “damages” or the emotional, financial, and physical cost of your injuries. There are 3 types of damages that can be awarded in a personal injury lawsuit:
- Compensatory or economic damages – As the most common and identifiable types of damages in a personal injury lawsuit in Des Plaines, compensatory or economic damages are intended to make the injury victim financially whole again. This includes reimbursement for lost wages, medical expenses, and property damage.
- General or non-economic damages – While these damages are pursued along with compensatory or economic damages, they aren’t as specific and less tangible. As a result, it is more difficult to determine a value of general or non-economic damages. Factors such as the injury victim’s age, income, and occupation as well as the nature and severity of their injuries are taken into consideration. Emotional distress (mental anguish), loss of companionship, loss of future income, and pain and suffering are examples of general or non-economic damages.
- Punitive damages – Since the burden of proof is extremely high, punitive damages are the most difficult to obtain. Punitive damages are intended to punish the at-fault party or defendant for their intentional or outrageously egregious actions or behavior. Additionally, when they are awarded, punitive damages often exceed the amount of the other two types.
For more information, contact the Makarone Law Firm and speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer in Des Plaines today.
To learn more, call the Makarone Law Firm and talk to a personal injury lawyer today.
Makarone Law Firm – Des Plaines
Consultation Office (Call for an appointment)
1157 Lee St Suite B
Des Plaines, IL 60016
(877) 659-4424 Des Plaines